Electric scooters, hoverboards, eBikes have become a new fun form of transportation these days. These transportation ways are becoming more popular among millennials as they lower our carbon footprint. But is an electric scooter for adults street legal? We need to know the three factors that make an electric scooter street legal:
1. Where it's legal to ride -- sidewalks and roads (ie some countries prohibit riding on sidewalks, others only allow you to ride on roads with a speed limit of 20 mph, etc.).
2. Requirements for electric scooters - maximum speed, motor size, wheel diameter, maximum weight, front and rear lights, suitable brakes.
3. Requirements for riders - registration, license, insurance, minimum age, and helmet requirements.
Let's start the discussion on street legal electric scooters next.
Part 1. 5 Recommended Electric Scooters for Adults Street Legal
Let’s talk about some of the street legal electric scooters for adults that will help you not only save money but also avoid cops. These street legal scooters have passed all tests for being a legal vehicle on the streets.
Considered one of the best street legal electric scooters for adults, this long range electric scooter uses top-notch technology and packs a powerful battery.
The top features include:
- 2 x 7.5 Ah dual batteries
- 450 W brushless motor (front motor)
- 50 miles maximum range
- 20 mph maximum speed
- 275 lb. load capacity
- Dual-spring rear suspension
- large pneumatic tires
With removable lithium-ion battery pack, this electric scooter for adults street legal is budget-priced and compact. And that’s not all, it is sturdy and has some of the best features a street legal scooter for adults can have. It has two independent braking mechanisms and 9.3-inch flat-resistant tubeless pneumatic tires.
This 47.62 lb street legal motorized scooter is capable of giving you approx 20 mph when put on the fastest sport mode setting. It is also an electric scooter for heavy adults that can support 275 lbs weight capacity.
With a sturdy folding mechanism, great performance, redundant brakes, and a year warranty on the scooter (excluding batteries) the TurboAnt V8 can be your great choice for the best street legal scooter for adults.
Considered as one of the best street legal scooters for adults, the Segway Ninebot MAX is an impressive adult electric scooter.
The top features include:
- Top range of 40.4 miles on a charge
- 18.6 mph top speed
- Powerful motor with 350-watt rear-wheel drive
- Highly portable and sturdy design
- Single-step folding mechanism
This street legal electric scooter is known for its performance. It supports up to 220 lbs which is very impressive. This makes it one of the strongest electric scooters street legal for adults in the market.
The ability to run on any terrain with ease because of its 10-inch pneumatic tires makes it one of the favorite electric scooters for adults street legal. The anti-theft lock system is also remarkable to make your ride secure. Riders are going to totally enjoy this street legal scooter because of the ease of the cruise control feature.
One of the best electric scooters for street legal,GOTRAX G4 is an extremely affordable electric scooter the commuters looking to ride some serious distance and speed.
The top features include:
- 20 mph max speed
- 10-inch air filled tires
- 350W motor power
- 220 lbs weight capacity
This affordable electric scooter for adults street legal is capable of covering long distances with its 25-mile charge range. It is faster than most scooters in this price range with a speed of 15mph.
This street legal electric scooter for adults has stylish LED light and curvy body which is practical and fun. This street legal scooter is easy for transport and also has a folding steering assembly.
The Ninebot ES4 is popular as the fast electric scooter for adults street legal. This e-scooter has it all- great range, speed, and power.
The key features include:
- Mechanical brake and electric brake
- 15% hill grade
- Dual battery
- Built-in front LED lights
- IPX54 water-resistant
- 0 miles range
- Front & rear shock absorption
- 6 mph top speed
With great power and range, the Ninebot ES4 street legal electric scooter is a great choice for commuters who want to ride scooters every day. Additionally, it has a powerful battery and motor which will give you great speed. The extra external battery is definitely a brilliant idea.
The street legal scooter is foldable which will make it easy for you to carry it around too. The shock-absorbent materials will also make sure that you aren’t jarred as hard as you normally would.
Not only that this street legal electric scooter for adults comes with a Bluetooth phone app.
#5. Glion Dolly Street Legal Electric Scooter
The one of the best foldable lightweight adult electric scooter for street legal in the market, the Glion Dolly is perfect for running errands, getting around your neighborhood, or just for sightseeing.
The key features include:
- Top speed- 15.8mph
- Built-in front lights
- Folding handlebars
- Max rider weight- 225 lbs
- LCD display
- Electronic brake
- Battery capacity- 282 Wh
- Telescoping stem & towing handle
An extremely sturdy and compact commuting machine, the Glion Dolly can be folded into a package. The street legal electric moped is an ideal tool for transportation for urban residents, students, and any full-sized adults. With easy fast charging, you will be always ready to go for a spin.
Part 2. Are Electric Scooters Street Legal in the US?
In the US, e-scooters are often referred to as "low powered e-bikes" in legal books. Electric bicycles are regulated by Public Law 107-219, passed by Congress in 2002. The definition of electric bicycle includes the following:
1. Two- or three-wheeled vehicles with fully operable pedals;
2. Motors less than 750 watts;
3. Top speed less than 20 mph on level roads.
So electric scooters are street-legal in the US. But, some vehicles have crossed the line or completely exceeded the limits for e-bikes under Public Law 107-219. This discrepancy is why it's important to double-check with your local municipality before trying your new scooter out in the wild areas. Also, different states have different regulations governing the use of electric scooters on public roads. Therefore, you also need to familiarize yourself with these state-specific rules.
- In Arizona no insurance or registration is required and the top speed should be 20 mph.
- In Florida, the scooters need to have a seat or else it cannot be operated on the road or the sidewalks.
- In Kansas riders aren’t allowed to operate on sidewalks, they must remain on the street and stay in bike lanes wherever possible.
- Kentucky allows the electric scooter to be parked on sidewalks. And you don’t need to have registration or purchase insurance.
- Louisana allows electric scooters for adults street legal to operate on bicycle paths, sidewalks, and highways. The speed limit is 25 mph or less.
- In Michigan, scooters are allowed only on highways or streets except when crossing, with a speed limit of 25 mph or less.
- Minnesota doesn’t allow riders below 12 years to operate electric scooters. Registration or licenses aren’t required here.
- In Mississippi, scooters aren’t allowed on disabled parking spots or building entrances and sidewalks. Children below 14 years aren’t allowed to ride.
- Arkansas laws require an individual to be 16 and above to ride a street legal electric scooter with the speed limit being 15 mph.
- California does not allow travelling at over 15 mph on bike lanes or public roads.
- Iowa laws allow scooters on sidewalks, roads, and bike lanes with the speed limit being 20 mph.
- In Maine, it's compulsory to have reflectors on electric scooters. The speed limit is 20 mph and cannot be operated at night without front lights.
- New Jersey allows a maximum speed of 19 mph and electric scooters are allowed on bike paths only.
- New Mexico doesn’t allow individuals below 18 to ride, they also have to wear a helmet and ride only in bike lanes.
- In New York owning your electric scooter is legal but cities decide for themselves how to regulate these vehicles.Besides, Riders can travel up to 20 mph on the streets of NYC, granted that they’re over 16 years old and wear helmets if they’re under 18. Check out the guide to Electric Scooters Laws in NYC 2023 for an overview.
Based on different regulations, 20 mph electric scooters are the choice of many people. Electric scooters also can run at speeds below 20 mph, and riders can travel on roads with or without bike lanes while staying close to the curb and obeying driving and traffic rules.
Part 3. Do you Need a License for an Street Legal Electric Scooter?
Electric scooters have definitely made life easier. However, are you still wondering “do you need a license to drive an electric scooter for adults street legal?”
In the UK you need a license to use electric scooters on the road. And that’s not all you also need to be using protective headgear and pay vehicle taxes before using them.
In most places in the US, electric scooters can run on pathways, trails, and bike lanes. Having a license isn’t mandatory by law.
In California, there are still some restrictions when it comes to operating an electric scooter for adults street legal. You need to have a valid driver's license, wear a helmet, cannot use sidewalks. The speed limit should never be above 15 mph.
In many states, electric scooters are allowed if you obey traffic rules. In London and San Francisco electric scooters can be easily rented like bikes.
Part 4. What to Consider When Buying an Electric Scooter for Adults Street Legal?
After you've been sure whether your electric scooter can be street legal in your city, it can be not easy to decide which scooter in the market is right for you. You should consider the need for performance and features. Some people who live in hilly towns may prefer the powerful electric scooters with slow speed. A fast e-scooter will serve your needs better if you live in an urban area with flat roads. In cities, signal lights can mean the difference between a commute and an accident when it comes to dark or rainy climates. And your important documents and papers are much safer in the trunk than in your backpack.
Most electric scooter for adults street legal range from 350 to 3000 watts. The higher the wattage of the scooter motor, the higher the power. However, it is important that you need to determine the purpose of using the e-scooter. If you just want to commute in the city, an e-scooter with a 350-watt motor will be sufficient.
The average top speed of most street legal motorized scooters can reach 15-20 mph. But some electric scooters can reach a top speed of 50-70 mph. You can choose according to your daily needs and the laws of your state.
The suspension system on an electric scooter for adults street legal has a set of springs that absorb bumps and shocks to provide a smooth and comfortable ride. If you plan to use it on rough terrain, you can choose a scooter with rear and front suspension, but a scooter with a suspension system will be heavier and high cost.
Obviously, you want an electric scooter with a great braking system. It is very important when you want to get quick braking.
Not all e-scooters are the same when it comes to weight capacity. Some are designed for a single person, and some can easily accommodate two people. Generally, the scooter with a weight capacity of 220 - 275 lbs can meet the needs of most people.
Part 5. 6 Tips for Riding an Electric Scooter for Adults Street Legal
1. Riding an electric scooter for street legal is different from other transportation. Electric scooters do not require manual operation like bicycles, nor do they have the motor power and speed of motorcycles.
2. While you don't have to wear a seat belt when riding an electric scooter, in the United States and many other countries, you are legally required to wear a helmet to ensure your safety.
3. After getting to the destination, please park your electric scooter in a safe place or parking lot and lock it. Because electric scooters are lightweight and easy to carry, taking proper precautions can prevent your scooter from being lost.
4. Before riding, you need to know the rules of the road. Most bicycles and e-scooters are only allowed on bike lanes. Driving in high-traffic areas or areas with no bike lanes is prohibited when the speed limit exceeds 25 miles per hour.
5. While riding, pay attention to signals from other drivers and stay as close to the road as possible. Practicing safe driving techniques will keep you safe.
6. Low visibility weather such as rain or snow can obstruct your vision, it is very important to be alert and visible to drive safely and avoid accidents.
Part 6. FAQ about Street Legal Electric Scooters
1. What makes an electric scooter street legal?
To ride on streets, a vehicle must meet authorities' requirements for public road use and comply with safety standards.
2. Are electric scooters allowed on streets?
There's no universal rule; legality varies by state and local laws. E-scooter regulations remain unclear in many places, leading to conflicting views.
3. Are electric scooters allowed on the sidewalk?
Official sidewalk rules differ among states. Generally, it's discouraged, and checking the local Department of Motor Vehicles is wise.
4. Where to legally ride electric scooters?
Consistent laws exist across states. On roads without bike lanes, e-scooters without licenses are allowed up to 25 mph. Sidewalks and bike paths are off-limits.
5. Which is the best street-legal electric scooter?
The TurboAnt V8 stands out with dual 7.5 Ah batteries, a 450W front motor, and a 50-mile max range. With 275 lbs capacity and rear suspension, it suits heavier riders.
6. How much does a street-legal electric scooter cost?
For traffic use, expect to spend more than $300-500. Pricing varies based on features and road legality.
Electric scooters for adults street legal these days are becoming the new eco-friendly way of transportation. Electric scooters are undoubtedly simple and clean. Ride with care and common sense and you will end up spending much less time than any other form of transport you normally use.