Electric scooters have grown quite popular, and they can now be found on city streets all over the world. They're a desirable alternative to driving a car since they help with traffic worries and the need to find a parking place.
Micro-mobility businesses such as Bird and Lime have tested electric scooter rental systems in numerous cities due to their rising popularity, and consumers may scoot around for as low as a few bucks.
Both options offer benefits and drawbacks when it comes to owning or renting an electric scooter. It is up to you to decide based on your lifestyle and preferences.
Part 1. Renting an Electric Scooter
If you live in a metropolis, there's a good chance you can rent electric scooters locally. They are frequently located near railway stations, bus terminals, or densely populated locations where people are more likely to need and ride them. Here are the top companies that offer options for electric scooter rentals .
Top Electric Scooter Rental Companies
- Bird is a key participant in the electric scooter rental market, and it was one of the first of its type. The electric scooter rental company employs around 1000 people in most major US and European cities.
- Lime was the first company to pioneer the scooter-sharing trend. They are the first electric scooter rental firm to become incredibly well-known and profitable, cementing their current position in scooter history. Lime is also recognized for renting electric bikes and mopeds in addition to scooters.
- Spin is a scooter-sharing service that Ford bought in January 2017. Their iPhone and Android app are presently accessible in more than 70 cities and campuses around the United States. They've just recently begun to expand overseas, with Cologne, Germany, the most significant non-US city in which they do electric scooter rental business.
Benefits of Electric Scooter Rental
- Renting electric scooters help save money and saves on costs.
- You don't have to worry about routine maintenance when renting electric scooters.
- A electric scooter rental is also ideal for infrequent use.
- You can use different models every time you rent an electric scooter.
- You can also save on electricity to charge the scooter.
Detriments of Electric Scooter Rental
- Finding an available option near you can be challenging when renting electric scooters.
- There can be safety concerns, such as using a damaged scooter and the lack of safety gear.
- You can also face low performance and comfort due to negligent drivers.
- Sometimes, you will have no freedom to choose the model or variant you want to ride.
- You cannot customize a rental electric scooter.
Part 2. Owning an Electric Scooter
The main benefit of having your electric scooter is that you are not obligated to share it with everyone if you do not choose to. When you purchase your e-scooter, it becomes your property, and you may ride it anytime you want.
Electric scooters pay for themselves in 4-6 months by lowering transportation expenditures. Renting electric scooters becomes more cost-inefficient over time compared to owning a scooter. So, if you've rented an electric scooter a couple of times or more, it's time to buy one.
Benefits of Owning an Electric Scooter
- Owning an electric scooter is intended for more frequent travel, such as commuting. So, while the initial expense may make you shudder, the cost is spread out throughout the scooter's functional lifetime and becomes considerably less expensive per mile over time. Therefore, owning an electric scooter saves costs in the long run.
- Owning an electric scooter gives you the flexibility to do whatever you want with it. This might entail altering the parameters to fit your riding style, repainting the scooter, or even applying decorations.
- When you own an e-scooter, you can use it whenever you want and go anywhere, anytime.
- You can ride any e-scooter you want and need. So, you can determine your daily commuting needs and ride the scooter that best suits your requirements. For instance, you can go with the brilliant TurboAnt X7 Pro. This electric scooter offers a top speed of 20 mph and an impressive range of 30 miles on a single charge. It also features a powerful 350-watt motor for the torque you need. So, you can get to and from work without issues.
- You'll certainly be wearing your helmet and other gear if you own an electric scooter. Safety gear for rental electric scooters is frequently destroyed or stolen. So, you can always ensure your safety.
Detriments of Owing an Electric Scooter
- Owners always have to ensure their e-scooter is charged even when they aren't using their electric scooter. Moreover, fully charging an e-scooter can take hours.
- You also need to examine the electric scooter regularly. This also implies that you will be responsible for maintenance charges in the event of damage.
- When you own an electric scooter, you must consider how you will take it into buildings or park it safely. So, taking extra care of your e-scooter may appear inconvenient at times.
Part 3. Which One is More Cost-effective?
Renting electric scooters is a terrific way to see much more than taking a vehicle or bus; it only costs a few bucks. However, if these charges are incurred regularly, they will rapidly mount up. Let us discuss the following 2 points:
How Much Does It Cost to Rent an Electric Scooter?
The cost of renting an electric scooter depends on the rental business. So, most electric scooter rental firms will charge a modest unlocking fee and a fixed rate per minute. The cost of unlocking an e-scooter is usually $1, ranging from 30 to 60 cents per minute.
How Much Does It Cost to Buy an Electric Scooter?
Electric scooters start at $200, while higher-quality versions cost $1,000 or more, with the costliest models costing over $6,000.
However, you can go with TurboAnt X7 Pro electric scooter as it is a suitable option for most people and consumers. With a modest price tag of $549.98, it can offer a top speed of 20 mph. Moreover, the detachable batteries offer an impressive range of up to 30 miles on a single charge. There are multiple riding modes, and you can choose per your needs.
As you can see, a brief cost analysis will show us that it is much cheaper to own an electric scooter in the long run. So, you can start by renting different rental electric scooters, but owning an e-scooter will always be better.
Part 4. Which One is More Convenient?
Owning an electric scooter is considerably more convenient because it is always there should you need it. You will be losing significant time if you are in a rush and try to locate the closest rental e-scooter. It's more convenient to buy your electric scooter if you want the best e-scooter riding experience.
Some of the electric scooters available for rent may be in bad condition. Some people have little respect for public property. So, they may vandalize e-scooters or toss them into the dump. Another benefit of having your scooter is that you can go wherever you choose at any time during the day or night.
Part 5. Which One is Better for The Environment?
Owning an electric scooter is much better for the environment. In general, private property is handled better than public property. Therefore, the life expectancy of a rented e-scooter is fairly limited. It can last up to 9 months before being disposed of in landfills rather than recycled. Electric scooters owned by individuals, on the other hand, may endure for many years if properly maintained.
Furthermore, it has been discovered that rented e-scooters wind up in rivers or canals. The nickel in disposable lithium-ion batteries that fuel electric scooters can seep into rivers, posing a serious threat to aquatic life. Therefore, owning an electric scooter is much better for the environment.
Part 6. Which One is Safer to Use?
Renting electric scooters is riskier than owning one. The renter is not responsible for the upkeep and servicing of the e-scooter they have rented. They may be unaware of any damaged parts or the status of the battery in the electric scooter they want to rent. Therefore, owning an electric scooter is much safer than renting one.
After weighing the advantages and disadvantages of owning vs. renting an electric scooter, owning one outweighs renting one. Both are inexpensive and efficient. However, both options differ in terms of comfort. Therefore, serious e-scooter users will gain more from purchasing a dependable electric scooter.
The TurboAnt X7 Pro is among the best e-scooters right now. The X7 Pro is small yet strong enough to carry much weight. Furthermore, the wide, non-slip surface allows both feet to be in a safe and pleasant posture. When rapid acceleration is necessary, the 350-watt motor delivers impressive power, but the controlled throttle response ensures a comfortable everyday ride. You can enjoy 20 mph top speed with a brilliant range of up to 30 miles. Moreover, this e-scooter comes with a modest price tag. So, it serves as the ideal choice if you want to own an electric scooter.