Do you live in a city where you have to walk miles before accessing public transit? Or Are you looking for a means of transport that is both eco-friendly and posture improving? A long range electric scooter is ideal for you. They are often elegant and assure you a smooth ride over a long distance.
A long range electric scooter is a two-wheeled vehicle powered by one or multiple electric motors. With handlebars raised on a handlebar post, a deck for standing, a full braking system, and quality tires, these scooters travel the long distance easily.
Some manufacturers also include a detachable seat option in their long-range electric scooters for optimal comfort on long rides. There are also measures to save energy like cruise control and regenerative braking, ensuring you remain on the road for long before you need a recharge.
There are 3 different levels of long-range scooters depending on their range;
- Long-range: You can ride scooters like this for 20 to 40 miles on a single charge.
- Super Long-range: These scooters offer you 40 to 60 miles on one charge
- Extremely long-range: These long-range scooters give you a range of above 60 miles before you need to charge again.
Part 1. Top 5 Long Range Electric Scooters in 2022
1. TurboAnt X7 Pro (20-30) miles
With a body made from aircraft-grade aluminum alloy, the TurboAnt X7 Pro is one of the longest-range electric scooters for adult riders. Unlike most electric scooters, the battery on this model is removable. This feature is handy on extremely long rides since you can swap a drained battery for a charged one in seconds.
It features a three-step folding mechanism for easy storage and transport, saving you time, energy, and space. Are you looking to beat traffic on your way to work? The TurboAnt X7 Pro has a top speed of 20 mph and a maximum range of 30 miles on a single charge.
The TurboAnt X7 Pro features a triple braking system with a front electronic brake and an efficient rear disc brake. Controlled by a hand lever, these brakes operate in union with the foot brake mechanism to ensure their brakes within a short distance. It also features a tail light that blinks when braking for optimal safety.
Are you planning to ride it on roads that might be a bit bumpy? No worries! The TurboAnt X7 Pro comes with 10-inch pneumatic tires that work in tandem to absorb shock maximally, ensuring comfort during the ride. Selling for $549.98, it offers impressive features for a long-distance ride.
2. Apollo Ghost (30-40 miles)
The Apollo Ghost takes electric scooter riders to a whole new level. This scooter is made using forged aluminum, and it gives you the perfect balance of strength and stability while eliminating bulk. It also features a single-stem design which keeps the stem firmly in place. For optimal protection and durability, the Apollo Ghost comes with aluminum fenders.
The Apollo Ghost has different riding modes, from the single and dual motor to ECO or TURBO mode. Switching between modes is also easy as it happens with just the press of a button. With its 800 W brushless motors and a total of 1600 W nominal power, The Ghost is extremely fast. It has a top speed of 34 mph, accelerates to 15mph in 3.1seconds, and with conservative power settings, gives you a range of 39 miles.
With a braking distance of 8ft from 15 mph and 23ft from 25 mph, the Apollo Ghost is one of the safest around. While it is not a long range electric scooter with seat, its 10-inch pneumatic tires offer you lower ground clearance and a comfortable ride. At today's price of $1,499, the Apollo Ghost is a total steal.
3. Kaabo Mantis Elite (40-50 miles)
With a sleek design, the Kaaba Mantis Elite long range electric scooter is not only elegant but also very efficient. Being foldable and weighing 62.2 lb., this scooter is portable and easy to store, taking minimal space.
This long distance electric scooter comes with 1000 W dual motors giving you more than enough power for hill climbs and fast travel. It has three-speed modes for different occasions. With a charge time of 6-8 hours, you get a top speed of 31 mph and a range of 50 miles.
Safety is important, which is why the Kaabo Mantis features a LED head, tail, and brake lights, keeping you aware of your environment at night. It also features a dual brake system with a front and rear semi hydraulic brake. The Kaabo mantis suspension system and 10-inch tires ensure comfortable rides even on bumpy roads. It is selling for $2,999.
4. Dualtron X (50-60 miles)
Are you looking for a scooter that combines the best of both motorcycles and small foldable scooters? The Dualtron X is the scooter for you. It has a design that offers you both the flexibility and portability of small scooters and the stability and comfort of bigger vehicles' security. While not as portable as smaller scooters, you can use this vehicle inside cities.
With its two brushless HUB motors, you get a combined power of 6720 W, which translates to a 55 mph top speed. While it is not the electric scooter with the longest range, you still get a whooping 93 miles range. It features a hydraulic disk braking system coupled with electric assistance great for fast maneuvers.
The Dualtron X features two tubeless 13-inch tires making it one of the most stable electric scooters on the market. It is the most expensive on our list, selling for $5,999.
5. Wolf King (60-100+ miles)
The Wolf King tops our charts as one of the most solid electric scooters in the market today. It is very durable and brutally efficient. This long distance electric scooter can climb a 50-degree incline slope with ease making it perfect for use both on and off-road.
The Wolf King features a dual-motor system with a power output of 1500 W each. This gives it enough power to reach top speeds of over 60mph and a range of over 93 miles on a single charge.
The Wolf King has a dual braking system which reduces your speed in a short time. 11-inch tires, front patent hydraulic shock absorbers, and rear C spring shock absorbers ensure you remain comfortable on any terrain. The price of this scooter today is $2,499.
Part 2. Long Range Electric Scooters vs Electric Scooters
Whether long-range or normal range, the type of scooter you get depends on your needs. The features that differentiate them include;
- Motor: Long-range electric scooters use one or more electric motors, while normal electric scooters use just one motor. Also, the motor featured in a long-range scooter always has a high power output of at least 700W, which often translates to speed and ability ride uphill.
- Battery: Long-range scooters feature batteries that have greater capacity. Designed for optimal comfort during long rides, it has a longer-lasting battery than those found on electric scooters.
- Top Speed: Since long-range electric scooters cover more ground than normal electric scooters, they are often faster. Some reach a top speed of more than 60 mph, facilitated by their powerful motor system.
Part 3. Is a Long Range Electric Scooter Suitable for You?
Why You Should Consider Getting a Long Range Scooter
- Take on longer Trips: long-Range e-Scooters can run to about 20-60km per charge. Most of the best range electric scooters have reliable batteries that can take you on a long trip without shutting down mid-way and leaving you stranded.
- Ride in more open or Rural Areas to Avoid being Stranded: Long Range e-Scooter can cover up to 20 to 50 miles depending on the road and trail you are riding. If you reside in a rural area, these scooters can cover 30 miles on a single charge.
- Great for Adventure & Trail Riding: They have full suspension for shock absorption, smooth ride on slippery trails, and puncture-resistant tires for rough or uneven roads. Electric Scooter with the longest range has a dual motor for hilly roads and mountains.
- Less-Frequent Charging: Long-range e-scooter takes 6 to 12 hours to charge and can last for 2 to 6+ hours depending on the battery capacity and nature of the road or trail. Higher battery capacity and a smooth road or trail will surely give you a longer ride when the battery is fully charged than a lower battery capacity and rough or uneven trail.
Why Long-Range E-Scooter Is Not For You
- Not Lightweight And Not Easy To Carry: The higher battery capacity, dual motors, and hydraulic brakes make them heavier than the regular electric scooter.
- Long Charging Time: An average long-Range Scooter takes 6-12 hours to charge fully, depending on the battery capacity. This is a long time compared to the normal electric scooter, which takes 2-4 hours.
- Not Portable Option: They are not easily moveable. If you intend to take your electric scooter on public transport, you need to consider buying normal e-scooters.
Part 4. What to Consider Before Buying a Long Range Electric Scooter
Before buying a long-range electric scooter, there are important questions you need to answer so that you can make an informed purchase. These include:
Do You Always Ride In Urban Areas?
If you ride mostly in urban areas, features like bright headlights, LED display, and a good brake system are worth considering when buying these scooters. Dual motors for quick acceleration, full suspension, puncture-resistant tires, and maximum speed are important factors to consider if you are riding in rural areas.
Do you Need All-weather Compatibility?
If you intend to ride your electric scooter all year long, you should consider those with rugged tires, water-resistant, and Eco mode or reduced speed mode features.
How Compact Do You Need The Scooter To Be?
Most long-range electric scooters are heavy and not portable. If portability is an important feature you are seeking, you should opt for models with smaller decks and wheels.
What is Your Favorite Preference?
Long-Range Electric Scooter comes in different designs. There are models with simple designs and more advanced and sophisticated models. It all depends on your choice.
How Far Do You Need To Go?
An average long-range e-scooter can cover 20 to 40 miles, and more sophisticated models can cover 50 to 100+ miles. However, factors like the rider's weight, the condition of the terrain and road, and the rider's expertise can affect the mileage. If you need a higher mileage coverage, look out for long range-scooters with massive battery capacity, an Eco mode setting, and regenerative brakes.
Long range electric scooters are ideal for long-distance travel because they are faster and offer more distance between charges. We have provided five long-range electric scooters with different attributes and prices, but the TurboAnt electric scooters are our top pick.
The TurboAnt X7 Pro has unique qualities like the removal battery, triple fold, and lightweight. Removable batteries ensure you never get stranded on a journey because of the battery running out. The triple fold system and lightweight make it easy to transport and store the TurboAnt X7 Pro when not in use.